As we all know that Magento 1 initial release was on 31st March 2008 and after 24 July 2008 team Magento started sending the stable versions of Magento. So overall you can see that Magento 1 already completed a long journey and provided benefits to many business owners, small shop owners or enterprise customers.
But this was not an end and Magento team was planning about Magento 2 which was announced in 2010 and stable version released in 28 November 2018. And recently on 6th September 2018 team Magento officially announced that Magento 1 support will end after June 2020.
— Magento (@magento) September 6, 2018
So as per these details and being a Magento development company we are getting inquiries almost every day which are:
So we have decided to give some detail information on differences because if you will understand their features then it will help you to choose any of them and you can plan things accordingly. We are focusing on major parts of in this blog which are:
So let’s start.
1. Architecture: In Magento 1 Apache 2.x was getting used and Php version compatibility was from 5.2.x to 5.5.x. If we will talk about Magento 2, then definitely there are improvements came in like Apache 2.2 / Apache 2.4 is getting supported, Php 7 is implemented. And for caching Varnish, Redis and Memcached are incorporated. So overall we can see that performance is bit higher than Magento 1.
2. Admin panel: In Magento 1 version the design was good as per that time launch and business owners adopted that very well but now when Magento 2 is launched with new admin panel then it’s also getting attraction and good response due to its dynamic and new admin panel design. Below mentioned are screenshots of both panels.
Admin login page Magento 1:
Admin login page Magento 2:
Admin after login page Magento 1:
Admin after login page Magento 2:
So you can see the differences in layout and we can see that in Magento 2 you will get improvise version of admin panel.
3. Front-end: If we will talk about Magento 1 themes then you will see that there are various options available for Magento 1 and Magento 2. Look of a website is totally depends upon what type of theme you have selected. Magento 2 has some advance and decent level themes available in comparison to Magento 1. All the themes provided by Magento 2 are responsive and user friendly.
Few Magento 1 themes:
Few Magento 2 themes:
So we can say that in Magento 2 design patterns and structures are fully changed and have some nice templates.
4. Mobile friendly: Magento 2 was developed with a concept to give more flexibility for mobile users. So if we will compare it from Magento 1 then definitely you can see lots of changes in Magento 2 in terms of responsiveness, user friendliness and its usability.
5. Marketplace module: Marketplace module usage in Magento 1 was high when it was launched and in Magento 1 there were lots of unique features available for vendors. But in Magento 2 UI for vendors are improved along with features. Earlier the seller registration page in Magento 1 was different and was capturing basic information but now in Magento 2 a advance form is introduced and shop page, vendor configuration pages are also much improvised.
Screenshot of Magento 1 seller page:
Screenshot of Magento 2 seller page:
6. Performance: Finally the important point i.e. Performance. As discussed in 1st point that Magento 2 is packed with Php 7, Memcached and Varnish caching options so performance is improved for sure in comparison to Magento 1. There is no doubt that Magento 2 is much faster and better in performance and records are given below.
Magento 1: 2.32 Sec
Magento 2: 1.08 Sec
Product list page
Magento 1: 2.62 Sec
Magento 2: 1.20 Sec
Simple product page
Magento 1: 2.45 Sec
Magento 2: 1.19 Sec
Magento 1: 2.59 Sec
Magento 2: 1.20 Sec
So overall we can see that Magento 2 is approx 50% faster than Magento 1 and for performance, Magento 2 provide full page caching in both community and enterprise edition.
Conclusion: If you have site running in Magento 1 then no need to worry as Magento 1 support not going to soon. So you will have good time to arrange your things, data and to make your decision. But it’s always recommended that Magento 2 is always a good option as it has some major differences in performance, design, marketplace etc. Still you think if you have any confusion in your mind for Magento 1 or Magento 2 and want to discuss things in details then you can get suggestions from our Magento experts anytime. Of course consultation is free.